Thursday, 13 November 2014

On Oatcakes and Loneliness

I received an email from Aish Seminars.

Feeling lonely?  It asks, well no, not at all.

Weird answer maybe for an extrovert but...I don't know what has happened to my feelings of lonliness, I had them as a child, but then perhaps Motherhood took them away?
But then why did they not come back when I was back to living alone again?  I certainly felt alone, but that was specific to missing my girl, not missing....company.  I have never felt lonely as an adult, maybe that is why I have felt I would make a really good polygynous wife, I mean, NRE inspired jealousy aside, I really am not all that needy for company. And I am pretty happy just in the company of my children, you know, the only times I have had partner/s around my person 24/7 I felt crowded and suffocated. I like my space, but I also like the occasional romantic night, I like eating with my family, I like a good chat, I like dinner parties and festivals with lots of extended family and then I like to shut the door and be alone.
I don't get that much with a baby....alone.Vot is diz alone? She doesn't bother me though because I love every moment with the little beast so...what is lonely?

Wikipedia describes loneliness thus: 
Loneliness is a complex and usually unpleasant emotional response to isolation or lack of companionship.

Aha!!!!  There it is, I have been defining it all these years as the latter condition but not the former.  I have most certainly felt isolated, especially living on an island for a while.  I missed the bustle of town. I was lonely but didn't know it.

I am so busy now and have friendships that fulfil me, not really feeling the need for any romantic sort of thing, I am generally quite cynical when it comes to love anyway, but after the last relationship I had I am determined not to let NRE guide me into a relationship ever again.  NRE is brought on by too early intimacy and causes unwise decision making.  I am actually thinking about going Shomer Negiah, there is something uniquely sensible for me, in keeping someone away from my body, because I am just a little too passionate by nature, I just think it would serve me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment