oooohhhh!!! you luck thing, i have only ever been to the one in Paris... and i thought it was wonderful i didn't want to come home. Hey would you mind sharing some pics when you get home..
Oh dear I am a terrible tease, truth is, I have been to Disneyworld more times than I can count and we are unlikely to go this time around just because we want to do other things.
I only mention Disneyworld because that is my usual mode of referring to Orlando, I either call it Disneyworld or Disney Town due to the fact that there is little else there to do.
I am hoping to get out and about a bit more to be honest, I would love to see some of the picturesque coastal regions and Miami would be a nice city to visit. I think that most of the time will be spent just visiting family and trying to keep cool by swimming!!
I have never been to Disney Land but it looked fun to me on TV. I really like Coney Island as a kid and as a teenager I chose to go to a High that was nearby. As a youngster growing up in New York City in the 1980s I really wanted to go to Great Advantures. We never really had that kind of money to spare. When I lived in South Florida I really liked the outdoor activities like going to South Beach and we went to the Metro Zoo once (though I have real problems with caged animals transplanted out of their natural habitats. It remnds me of the Expos that preceeded the Circus and of course the enslavement of Africans). I learned not to miss going to places like Disney and it was such a revelation when I read the book Vinyl Leaves which was assigned in a social theory course that I took as a doctoral candidate in Sociology and Anthroplogy. I learned so much from it about the workings of Dinsney. I had some students who had worked at the one in California and I was not enthused about supporting them in any way. And it has been even more shocking to listen to the testimonies of Orlando natives who have gained nothing from Disney even though they pollute the landscape and use and abuse the local environment. They provide low wage jobs to the locals and very few scholarships to a small minority and that as they rake in hundreds of millions in profits. Disney is part of the predatory tourist business that plagues the Caribbean and other places like Florida and even perhaps Hawaii. This is one of the capitalistic ways of profiteering that has to be toppled once and for all. Blessed love.
oooohhhh!!! you luck thing, i have only ever been to the one in Paris... and i thought it was wonderful i didn't want to come home. Hey would you mind sharing some pics when you get home..
ReplyDeletehave a safe trip
lucky old you :D
Oh dear I am a terrible tease, truth is, I have been to Disneyworld more times than I can count and we are unlikely to go this time around just because we want to do other things.
ReplyDeleteI only mention Disneyworld because that is my usual mode of referring to Orlando, I either call it Disneyworld or Disney Town due to the fact that there is little else there to do.
I am hoping to get out and about a bit more to be honest, I would love to see some of the picturesque coastal regions and Miami would be a nice city to visit. I think that most of the time will be spent just visiting family and trying to keep cool by swimming!!
One Love Natja and all.
ReplyDeleteI have never been to Disney Land but it looked fun to me on TV. I really like Coney Island as a kid and as a teenager I chose to go to a High that was nearby. As a youngster growing up in New York City in the 1980s I really wanted to go to Great Advantures. We never really had that kind of money to spare. When I lived in South Florida I really liked the outdoor activities like going to South Beach and we went to the Metro Zoo once (though I have real problems with caged animals transplanted out of their natural habitats. It remnds me of the Expos that preceeded the Circus and of course the enslavement of Africans). I learned not to miss going to places like Disney and it was such a revelation when I read the book Vinyl Leaves which was assigned in a social theory course that I took as a doctoral candidate in Sociology and Anthroplogy. I learned so much from it about the workings of Dinsney. I had some students who had worked at the one in California and I was not enthused about supporting them in any way. And it has been even more shocking to listen to the testimonies of Orlando natives who have gained nothing from Disney even though they pollute the landscape and use and abuse the local environment. They provide low wage jobs to the locals and very few scholarships to a small minority and that as they rake in hundreds of millions in profits.
Disney is part of the predatory tourist business that plagues the Caribbean and other places like Florida and even perhaps Hawaii. This is one of the capitalistic ways of profiteering that has to be toppled once and for all.
Blessed love.