Monday, 27 February 2012

Situational Polyamory

I am dwelling over the idea of whether situational Polyamory is just  using people to get my own selfish needs met or whether I am over thinking it and it is actually a responsible way to manage specific types of relationships? 

For example, I am thinking of whether I have the capacity to nurture many relationships and whether I would bother if my living situation were different and I have realised,  probably  not.  I mean, it is possible that I may meet  a person that I may have some sort of connection to, in   day to day business but in general, that is rare for me, I mean, I am a pretty weird person and don't really have the patience for conventional types, especially those with values I consider ignorant or harmful to society. Which. of course, means, I am not very attractive to the non hippy, non weirdos either.  As you can imagine, this makes the pool  of possible mates a little small.  But I realise this desire to look, is more born out of situational need, rather than natural inclination, because normally I would have all my needs met. 

I feel I understand  situational Polys now, the 100 milers, con sexers, Kink scene players.  All these people who normally have their needs met except in certain specific situations. Though these lot seem a little sex orientated,  it need not be limited to sex.  For example, a person you may have sex with at a conference, could be someone you have a really close and lively online friendship with at all other times.
 
A few days ago I was reading a post by someone saying she 'just fell in love all the time' as a reason for her Polyamory.  Well I don't tend to, I would like to be more loving, but I am not there yet.  Yet I do crave a certain amount of emotional and sexual intimacy in my life.  I am not sure whether I should be grateful that being Polyamorous affords me the leeway to gets those needs met or resentful that I should have to rely on other people to get those needs met due to the Long distance aspect, which I am not all that fond of.

Perhaps the better way to do Poly is just not to be insatiably searching for new experiences anyway, perhaps it is better just to recognise your personal needs and trying to get them fulfilled, after all the only person responsible for that is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment