So at Pride we were located two small organisations behind the Asexuals which was a surprisingly large and organised group, it was very impressive, especially considering the few who turned up to represent the Bi's.
(BTW, I am pretty sure there were lots of Bisexuals marching but they were just affiliated with other groups).
So, Asexuals? And why do I find them interesting as a very sexual person?
Well Asexuals define as persons who lack sexual desire, as opposed to celibacy, which is a choice to refrain from sexual activity, Asexuality is an orientation.
So, in a world in which relationships are often formed, cemented or maintained by lots of healthy sexual acitivity, how do asexuals have intimate, emotional relationships? And how can the Poly community help?
I wonder if many asexuals choose to be single, not due to any real desire to be alone, but because of the complexities which occur when dating the Any sexual? I feel Polyamory would definitely provide an answer to the asexual community, if we in the Poly community can actively seek to embrace them and make them feel welcome. One of our favourite Poly sayings is 'One person doesn't have to fulfil all our needs' and with that being the case, asexuals can have the loving intimate relationships without feeling guilty that they are denying their partners anything.
Perhaps the asexual community could open themselves up a bit more to the idea, non monogamy is mentioned but it is brief and not repeated in some pertinent questions in the faq for example the questions:
..................................................
Does being asexual mean I'll always be lonely?
No, not at all! Asexuals can and do form many kinds of relationships, from close friendships to romantic couplings to other kinds of bonds which our society doesn't have words for.
It may be more difficult to find someone who is willing to enter into a conventional relationship with the knowledge that sex will not be involved, but remember, there are other people with low or no sex drive out there and many people who care more about love and companionship than they do about sex.
Don't give up hope!
.........................
I want to stay with my partner and support them but the lack of mutual sexual feelings is killing me. What can I do?
Communication is essential, but it does not always solve everything. Sometimes, despite everyone's best efforts, a mutually satisfying compromise cannot be reached. Sometimes, people stay in such a relationship and put up with mutual frustration for the sake of their love and commitment to each other. Other times, the relationship must end.
..........................................
These questions are perfect for examining non-monogamy as a possibility, it would be nice to see some sort of networking taking place between the organisations. I feel that on the LGBTIA spectrum, Asexuals, like Bisexuals, have the the most to gain from the Poly community, so let's make it happen! Many of the bi's on the march are active in the Poly community, maybe next year we will have friends in the Asexual section too?
Let's see some useful networking /connections being made? How about an Asexuals and Poly talk at the next Polyday? Or maybe a small Poly contingent at an Asexuals gathering? I will do my bit by making people aware of this post...let's see what happens in the future.
Monday, 9 July 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm picking up what you're putting down! Spouse of 7 years identified as asexual recently and now we're exploring poly... Seems sane to me, but hopefully stable enough... Plenty to work out still! Thanks for bringing some positive awareness!
ReplyDeleteHello Anon,
ReplyDeleteI wish you and your partner all the best. As long as lines of communication remain open, I don't think there is anything to stop you both from enjoying this lifestyle.
If you want to talk, please don't hesitate to contact me.
x