
Caught this posted on FB just now and had to comment that it is this sort of romantic Woowoo which perpetuates the evil of serial monogamy. Of course, the one twue love types are out in force to re-enforce the Standard Narrative....these are re-enactors too....I do despair....

One love Natja.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this and for reprimending johnny depp. I'm very dissappointed in him he should know better. I think that he's making overtures to the religious right.
By the way, have you read Sex at Dawn? I finished reading it a couple of weeks ago and it was fabulous. I would love to read your thoughts on it. The writers are both Ph.Ds in psychiatry and psychiatry and they did a tremendous job at discussion the social science work on issues that relate to polyamory. There is a shorth chapter on poly towards the end. I hope that expand on it in future works. And I would like to see them include case studies with humans involved in poly relationships.
By the way please also check out the new reality show on polyamory on showtime. You can check out clips on their website or look up Kamala Devi.
Blessings.
Hey M! Nice to hear from you again. Yes, I think it is a bit of an unfortunate statement, especially coming out right now considering his recent separation. However, I think viewing the statement with Poly minded eyes can colour of view of its meaning. We see it as a 'right leaning' statement because serial Monogamy is to the right of Polyamory, however, JD is from Kentucky, the Bible Belt, where people are expected to be Monogamist-Monogamist, which is to the right of serial monogamy. So, viewed from that cultural window, his statement was left wing.
ReplyDeleteYes I read 'Sex at Dawn' and I loved the anthropology behind what seemed to make more sense to me, considering the biological evidence anyway. The standard narrative needed to be challenged because I hear some people justifying it to limit female choice amongst some poly minded folks, it is nice to know there is a book out there that puts the idea that women are biologically driven to be 'Hookas and Gold Diggas' (for that is what the standard narrative says) to rest!
Thanks for the information on JD Natja. Frankly, I wasn't in the know. And I am probably guilty of interpreting his comment through my pro poly and anti serial monogamy standpoint. Still, JD has been an icon of living life freely since I was a teen. He has such open minde views on cannabis and acting that it was kinda surprising. I also heard some commentary about how the move to LA from France might have caused the divorce. So environment or locale can be influential. He is also a carefree Gemini and his comment seemed out of character.
DeleteI haven't been able to comment on any blog post these past few months cuz my computer crashed last December. I hope and pray that my phone works for some time to come.
Take care.
Hey M, thank you for your comments!
ReplyDeleteI must admit, I do not know much about JD, only the fact that he is from Kentucky (but raised elsewhere) and his relationship to Vanessa Paradis has just ended. I had no idea he moved from Paris or any other details about his lifestyle or attitudes.
I suppose that statement rubs me up the wrong way because of its insane simplicity that just feeds romanticism. There were a few 'it's true' comments made on that thread along with 'Do you mean like a threesome? They never work.....' Bold generalised statements that I am sure are said with the same emphatic tone as 'Kentucky fried Rat' and 'You lose 50% of body heat through your head'. In other words, Urban legends that everyone states as fact but no one really knows the origins of where they receive this knowledge from.