Monday, 15 October 2012

Contraversy

Well it  has been a funny 48 hours.  Lots of arguments on the internet about removing pictures (well one porno drawing)  from a Polyamory board, a thread about pictures of dead babies (don't ask) and even a thread that a friend wrote about the Taliban rules, to be honest I don't know why he wrote it and I am not sure of what his context was, perhaps he felt that it was a bit Islamophobic to post it without any context, which is probably true, however I had just finished my post about a story I heard about what was happeneing to women under the Taliban and because it brought back a lot of memories to me of feeling angry, powerless and dreadfully sorry for those women, I actually was a little bit resentful about him removing it, but that did not last when I started to wonder what the point of the status was in the first place so anyway I wrote a status update about contraversal topics and free speech just to see what my friends list may think....anyway, this is what I said about the Taliban

 I recall hearing of a man who had to carry his very ill wife to a hospital and begged them to help her, but as all the female doctors had been sacked, no one could see her. He begged and begged but she was denied medical treatment. No Western govt. lifted a finger to help those women but years later after 9/11, I could not believe it when they invaded Afghanistan and claimed they were protecting women from the Taliban. Disgusting, they couldn't give a toss about those women.

Personally, I do like a bit of a internet row, especially if I feel strongly about a subject (and when someone is being particularly dumbass, like this poor fool who doesn't understand international laws).  However, I do understand people may feel it is unimportant or pointless.

I don't want to offend people myself, but I do in my head make a distinction between the Taliban and ordinary Muslims, but of course there is always the risk that people won't and the thread may have become an unpleasant anti-Muslim rant by ignorant people who cannot tell the difference.  So, is it right that informed people are censored because of dumbass people? DO we all need to be protected from dumbass people or should the post have been allowed so we be allowed to inform the dumbass people and hopefully help them to become more informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment