Friday, 15 February 2013

Not sure this is a myth...

Hey!
Yesterday's 'Poly in the News' was a bit interesting.  It featured an article by LiveScience, which interestingly covered Polyamory as part of its Valentines issue (how cool is that?). The title was '5 Myths about Polyamory debunked' and although I could agree on 3 out of the 5, I really don't think a good case was made for two of them.

Myth 2: Polyamory people are still paired up.

Well yes Mr. Holmes, MMF vees are quite common and I would say perhaps more successful than MFF vees in a live in situations (discussions about territoriality of females or relationship/life expectations are for another time) but I think the 30% of Polyamorous people utilising the Primary/Secondary model is woefully under estimated.  In the UK at least it would be inverse to that number and I would guess it is much higher in the US as well.  It would be wrong of me to cast aspersions on their research techniques but I think a bit of sample bias has snuck in by virtue of Mr. Holmes being situated in a University which, of course would have more singletons practising a more open form of Polyamory.  That is great for the future of less hierarchical relationships but that does not mean that is how the majority practise it in the here and now.

Myth 4: Polyamory is exhausting

This one is interesting because this is supposed to be a debunking article and they pretty much say this one is true.  But also add at the bottom that people who thrive in Polyamory seem to love that job.
I don't.
I am sorry I have to be very honest here and say all that constant processing is thoroughly exhausting.  I completely understand why Polyamory becomes less like a relationship style you are in and more like a hobby that is more involving than re-enacting, football, LARP and  stamp collecting all rolled into one.

I think there must really be a need in some people to have a constant supply of NRE on tap and love relationship drama but I am not that type of person and you know, the more relationships you have the more you must navigate through it.
I don't want monogamy but I wouldn't want a constant stream of partners either. My word! You wouldn't get a moments peace.

;)


No comments:

Post a Comment