Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Back to books.....

Hello you all,  I know I have been quiet of late, not because my life has been full of excitement, more like my life has been full of men....rough working class men, doing their physical work and getting all hot and sweaty i.e. contractors re-modelling the bathroom in the flat.  It is hard to really sit down and really concentrate when there are people coming in and out all the time.  And you know I don't like those really short blog posts, I like something a little more meaty.

Anyhow guess what I did?  I finally went back to the library and got something fictional, believe it or not after slating her for the last few years I got a Laurell K. Hamilton novel too.  I saw a Merry Gentry and figured I will give it a try, after all, is isn't Anita Blake!  It wasn't the first MG novel so obviously I need the exposition I usually find so tiresome in her novels *spoilers below*

So, first few pages into it, it is established that the title character has two partners, who are also her guards, later it is revealed that she is actually married to a third character.  She is pregnant with twins and they have different fathers.

Can someone explain to me where the 'fairies usually have multiple births' thing comes from because it has been the case in almost everything associated with the Fae recently, except Lost Girl, which doesn't really go into pregnancy.

One thing that bothered me was when Merry was thinking that "we didn't really follow the human tradition of Monogamy"

Really LKH?  For realz?  You mean the 15% of human cultures that practice monogamy? That is suddenly all of humanity?  That is the thing about Hamilton, she is SO culturally biased it bugs me.  For someone who takes such detail in explaining her fantasy Fairy/Shapeshifter/Vampire/Werewolf cultures, she is so greatly ignorant of any other culture outside of her own.

Blah blah, it is poly, yay!!!  And there is no mystical sex porn thing.....

1 comment:

  1. Urgh! LKH really has a type doesn't she? Men with really long hair.....

    ReplyDelete