"Guess what"? I said to the 23 year old girl, as I arrived home from a rather pleasant quasi date (it is, of course, complicated) with a friend " Did you know there was such thing as "Wolverine Porn"? and not only that 'Gay Wolverine Porn where Jean Grey is a bloke"? My geek and freak sides had converged and I thought it was hilariously random. The girl shrugged and looked at me as if I was SO OLD.... 'Well of COURSE there is" she replied practically rolling her eyes......
And there you have it, my young adult daughter knows more about pornography than I do. I am quickly turning into a dinosaur, the kind of person who is out of step with the time, desperately trying to cling on to what I know and one of the things I know is.......Unicorn is a bad word!
Of course I don't mean bad bad, just the kind of thing that marks you out in the Poly community as a noob, a naive person who believed that Unicorn and Unicorn hunting were good, clean terms that people should identify themselves as when they first introduce themselves in a poly forum and we experienced Poly's, the ones who read The Ethical Slut' and muttered angrily about how overly sexualised 'Polyamory - Married and Dating' was, tutted at their naivete as we patronisingly told them how ridiculous they are.
Good Media articles and pieces made pains to consult the media savvy polyamorous community and they of course never used it, nor the equally derided 'Our Third'. Then along came 'You Me Her' and 'Unicorn' was bandied about as if it was a fashionable term just discovered, but not in a negative way (though to be fair, not a positive one either) let's just a neutral descriptive term and it ticked me off. Still, I kind of hoped that it was just an error of the writers, a desire of them wanting to seem in the know about the scene. Surely it wasn't a sign of things to come?
But even as a screened out and vented against the U word in my polygamous groups, I was mostly hiding in the echo chamber of people who mostly thought like I do, most talked of 'sister wives' not 'Unicorns' and in the sole polyamorous group I stayed in, Unicorn hunting is still verboten. So what has happened?
Well it looks like the mainstream have taken it and run off, it wasn't just 'You Me Her' the mainstream have decided they could do without the hunters but the U word? They like it quite a bit and it WILL get used, oh yes, it WILL get used.
And so we arrive at Trigonometry (BBC 2020) a 'You Me Her'- like series except, not as white, wealthy or American, where the U word was used in the VERY first episode, which confused the prey Lodger of the Original Couple, when she was called this by a very astute drag Queen, when she asked what a Unicorn was, she was given such a convoluted metaphor for an answer, I am not sure 'I' even know what Unicorn is now, let alone the character (Who is French btw). I am not sure whether this was some BBC reticence in describing a triad or the writer just trying to be clever, but it was a bit of a dud, as far as analogies go.
So, it looks like Unicorn is here to stay, get ready for the influx. Gah!
And I still haven't looked up the Gay Wolverine Porn.

No comments:
Post a Comment