I have felt terribly sad for Mariah Brown recently, since we saw in the last episode that the Browns would all be living in different houses in NV, I felt for her, Mariah an only child, would possibly be living alone with her mother and not with all her siblings and you can tell that Mariah, Madison and Aspyn are pretty close, it seems completely unfair to have those three sisters living apart, but I felt most for Mariah. This last episode raised the Mariah sympathy up to a higher bar because, I was Mariah, when I was 13, settled into a school I loved, with my first real friends, getting excellent grades and had my whole future mapped out, I was going to go to a specialised Humanities High school, studying Archaeology mostly, than spend the following years studying it at university until I got my PhD, that was all I wanted to do with my life, get a doctorate in Archaeology.
One day my mother said we were going back to England, I wailed, I begged and rebelled, I stole my green card (and lost it) and for years plotted my escape. I was in my late 20's before I began to love my UK life. I don't know if I would be Dr. Natja by now if I had stayed in NY and of course, the knowledge that I would not have the lovely child and family I have now if I did stay in NY, put paid to any regrets many years ago but still, I cry for all the youngsters made to move when they don't want to just because of the choices adults make. I may not be happy that my daughter choose not to live with my in Scotland, but I am jolly glad that she had some sort of choice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment