Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Polyday 2012 - Review

Well, the map they gave on the Dragon Hall website was pretty rubbish so I had to look it up on Google maps just before we left, but it was not that hard to find thanks to a fine pair of retrosexuals walking ahead of me...."Do you think they are going to Polyday"?  Shebo jokingly said, I replied with "Quick follow the weirdos....you know there is a couple of people behind us saying 'Quick follow those weird Goth women'!!!!

Shebo denied that she looked very Goth!

Anyhow, yes, Polyday was choc full of alternative types which was cool.  The schedule utilised two rooms in Dragon Hall, the large hall downstairs and a smaller room upstairs.  Our first talk was Poly 201, this was happening parallel to Poly 101, surprisingly our group was the larger, which meant a room change and I was very pleased to run into a friendly face during the room change. 
Anyway we settled into discussing topics such as the law and family, I managed to upset a few people (surprise, surprise) with my strident ideas about 'Coming out'.  I think some people assumed I had amassed loads of privilege because I was able to come out....in fact someone even cheekily said so, excuse me? I came out because I had to, not because it was easy.

Aaah, for a choice in the matter....but yes, I was a fair bit older than 3/4s of the audience so.....

Then came an Academic Poly talk,  which was very different from what I was expecting, a researcher was asking us to get into groups and we discussed topics we, the community, wanted Academic research to concentrate on.  Of course, population size & children featured heavily in the discussion.

Shebo and I went our separate ways when I attended a Poly and Kink session, Shebo was in the Ask Poly advice session, Shebo liked her session and her discussion group was full of newbies, one of whom gave her a lovely compliment about being in her group.  Strangely enough I created a discussion group during my session also, my topic being 'Mixed Dynamic Poly relationships'.  It was a great chat and we had loads of fun.

We came together again for a Poly and the Media session, which was interesting but did solidify my notion that speaking to the media is not a good idea for me.

Our final session of the day was a Poly Parenting session, no discussion groups this time,but a whole session discussion which was interesting and it was nice to see so many Poly people looking towards a future where they might be parents and so more children will be brought up in our community!

Day event ended, Shebo and I went to a lovely Italian restaurant we have been to before.  Sadly the food was as nice as the last time.

Then we went back for the evenings entertainment, there were some folkish types singing songs that Shebo recognised but I did not (I am obviously into monogamous music!) and talk and chatter with some friendly faces.  We returned to the flat around 11:30 pm, tired but satisfied.  A  jolly good day out.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment