Hey folks, yes I know I am a bit behind, I spend half my seated times with my hands full now making typing...more problematic, add to that the increased traffic from people wanting updates about the Babe (what Babe? The babe with the power, What power? The power of voodoo, Who do? You do...remind me of the Babe....aaaah Jareth the Goblin King....How I love thee.....)
Anyhow, yes Polygamy USA, a series in the life of the fundamentalist Mormon community at Centennial Park. Centennial Park reminds me of somewhere in between the more mainstream independent fundamentalists/ AUB and the FLDS in that they tend to dress more modestly and keep their hair very long but not as extreme as FLDS. They live in a 'community' (a town really) but not a 'compound'. I would say the community probably have more influence in their lives than the Independents who are...well, independent and therefore it is more restrictive but they are not the FLDS by any means.
CP have an interesting way of families coming together which is quite far removed from the 'Old men gathering up all the young pretty girls' that people like to accuse all Polygamist communities of doing. Instead women pray and wait until they get a revelation on who they are going to marry (I think we would call that a crush to be honest) and even if it happens when they are fairly young, they can't get married until they are of age. Men don't do any choosing at all and in fact many of the young men in the community "Mission" within the community, unlike the LDS Church, which sends out young people to go and convert the Heathen masses to Mormonism, CP instead, sends their Missionaries out into the community, to help maintain it and build character to be a more attractive prospect for the young women waiting for their revelation. It is utterly fascinating!
I will confess and say I have a natural ick problem with wives calling their husbands 'Papa' or 'Father' nothing to do with the issue of honorifics of course, hey I really dig it since I am theatrically old fashioned. It is the familial and therefore incestuous connection which squicks me out. However, there's no evidence that it is common throughout the whole community as I only saw one woman do it in one family.
Do check the show out, it is on the National Geographic channel or if you don't get that channel like myself, you have to get creative online. But it is well worth watching and I have seen some very familiar faces who I have seen as part of Principle Voices advocacy and the Dawn Porter Extreme Wives series. They are doing a pretty good job at shining a light on Polygamy. And unlike the rather sad, robotic women in the FLDS, the women of CP, are strong minded and opinionated, sure their opinions might be to the right of the mainstream, but doesn't freedom also include the freedom to live more conservatively also?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Thank You for writing a good review on the show. We are moving there and the people who live there are amazing and full of faith. We are very lucky to pick such a place to have our children grow up.
ReplyDeleteYou are most welcome, I think the community looks like a very safe place for children and as you can imagine, as the mother of a newborn, finding a safe community to live in is a high priority to me at the moment.
DeleteAs a pro-polygamy and pro intentional community person I would love to see what a community like CP was about but I daresay as a non Mormon and a woman of colour I am not sure people would feel comfortable around me, but still I really would love to see a Polygamous community in person and talk to people living and loving happily. :)