Tuesday, 24 June 2014

The Disney-fied Reasoning behind sex negativity

I don't tend to bash Kody Brown, he is doing the best job he can and he is human, he has a right to
make mistakes or take up a position that is nonsense, like the pseudo science 'hormones in the mouth' thing. But I really want to address the Disney reasoning that comes at the end of this clip.



I get it, getting ones heart broken is a downer, but is that  not part of the teen experience? Isn't it one of those natural things that we go through as teens and then recover from, it is where we find our strength surely?

None of us with teenage children want to see them hurting, ever.  But the idea that we can make them avoid pain that is a fundamental part of growing up in this society is not helpful.

A Disney life, falling in love and staying in love, once and only once is hardly likely to happen to any of those children and in fact didn't happen to Kody, Jenelle or Robyn, so why does he wish to prevent his children from that experience to such a degree?

Ok, let's be frank, this is nothing to do with avoiding a broken heart and everything to do with avoiding a broken hymen, but that would be....unpopular.  To right it should be, the suppression of female sexuality, espoused in the  Biblical example he gave to this poor kid, is frustrating for those of us who wish to see teenagers empowered and positive about their own bodies and sexuality.

It was hugely amusing though to see his teenagers poke a hole in his reasoning, his sex negativity makes it more than difficult for him to talk frankly with his children about sex, so instead, like a Victorian gothic novelist, 'Kissing' is the euphemism he uses for sex.
'So you can have sex as long as you don't kiss'?  Mariah laughingly asks the camera.

That Kody is teen logic, you need to get over that discomfort if you want to have a real conversation about what your kids think.

.........................

Next week preview:

So, they are going to meet some Christian Polygamists?  Seeing as I know more of those than I know Fundamentalist Mormons (though I know quite a few of the latter group now as well) I am very interested in seeing who it is they are visiting in Missouri. 

No comments:

Post a Comment