I am very blunt, not just online, that is the way I am in person too. I am definitely no 'keyboard warrior'...but my bluntness in person is often tempered by my sense of humour, which can be lost in a textual form, it is still there but less easily recognisable. Added to that is my lack of patience when talking about 'feelings'. I can't frickin stand talking about 'feelings'... honestly when someone starts a sentence with 'I feel....' I want to run a mile. Being overwhelmed by my own feelings is taxing enough, I get disappointed in myself for being self indulgent, I don't enjoy talking about my feelings much and I seriously dislike hearing about others feelings. I hate being psychoanalysed, if I am angry and venting that this person annoyed me, I don't want to discuss where the root of it comes from, just leave me to vent my spleen, that is my own internal therapy.
Of course all this unfettered masculine energy means I am a nightmare for the touchy feely types. Often in such company I am the boogywoman...and I....don't.....care.
That is not what this post is about, this post is about being authentic and oppression. Not too long ago I was reading an article about oppression and in the comments there was a very blunt (and admittedly a bit vulgar) comment by a woman about those oppressive types. It was very much a comment about being free to be who you are and tolerance but one of the direct comments to her was this
I don't disagree with you at all but your tone, why must you write like that, it is a turn off.
Now I have seen this sort of thing before, mostly to other people (surprisingly) but it is so common that I tend to gloss over it as the possibly the mindset of the majority but then a response came (paraphrasing).
Isn't it ironic that we are having a discussion about oppression and you do not realise that by policing her 'tone' you are oppressing her. She has the right to express herself whichever way she feels comfortable.
Oh it was lovely...it was a viewpoint I had not thought of despite being the perfect victim of the 'Tone Police' It just never occurred to me that the touchy feely might be instituting an act of Passive Aggression by insisting that we communicate on a level that they find comfortable for them, even if that means it goes against our needs and/or nature.
But it IS an act of aggression because it is an insistence that you have to do something their way or else they will punish you with their hurt feelings. Why are we at the constant mercy of these people's feelings anyway? Can't they handle someone expressing themselves in a different way?
Enter the Great Oppressors of the Communication Age who along with trolls, make the social media age all about their wants, rather than being adult and realising that our only real choice if we don't like something is to walk away.

No comments:
Post a Comment