Thursday, 13 January 2011

No guns, no, no, no guns EVAH!!!!!

Oh wow, I just had a horrible memory....Shebo was just remarking on some crazy gun nuts pro-gun statement (which confuses the hell out of us Brits doncha know?)and I thought....thank goodness we don't have a gun culture here...really, it scares the kinks out of my hair!
Anyway, I recalled (it is somewhere waaaaay down in the archives) with a flash those people who I was talking to who said they had a gun because they were scared of the gangs in the 'hood'...
tumbleweed....
........................
........................

that was entirely the wrong thing to say to me, perhaps gun ownership is pretty normalised in America but to me, it just seems insane, I wouldn't even step foot in a house that had both of these things in it at the same time a)live guns and b) children.  Nor would I ever take a child into a house with a gun.
It strikes me as insane, though I appreciate that is my cultural bias, it is still....insane.....

So, Poly musing for the day....has it ever made a difference to anyone when poly courting?

2 comments:

  1. Not in poly courting, but my ex husband owned a gun. A 9mm handgun. He was super safe about it. We had a locked gun safe that required a thumb print and code to access it and ammunition was kept in a separate location in the house. He also took certification classes and had a conceal and carry license (although I never let him conceal or carry when he was with me).
    I was not super hip to the idea but as you said, it is kind of a culture thing. I was also brought up in a super small rural town and guns were pretty norm.
    I am not necessarily pro gun (I would never own one) but I'm not anti either.
    Ex husband did a lot of auto trading (car parts, cars, etc...) and this brought him into less than safe areas of town so his gun was for self protection reasons and sport (shooting ranges etc...).
    Obviously not looking for a gun debate here, but just giving you an idea of a pretty level headed (at least I think so) person who has experience with handguns in the house :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes well I DO know that some people are responsible but............... there are 90 guns for every 100 people in the US?? Gosh that does scare me.

    ReplyDelete