Monday, 7 January 2013

Poly on TV - Bones

Ok, just finished watching the Season 6, Episode 12 - The Sin in the Sisterhood.

(SPOILERS BELOW)

I admit I am not a fan of Bones, I have not watched it before and sadly after this episode I have little desire to watch it again.

Ok, so first of all the victim was a male, shot point blank range in a corn field (in Virginia).

Crass Poly hint numero uno, Forensic Pathologist  deducts from his bones (harhar, that is the title of the show you see?) that the body shows evidence of a frequent and very active sex life....

Ok, so they find out about the Polygamy, the Sisterwives also being Biological sisters, just to have an added frisson of scandal.  First there is some obscure reference to the children's heads being 'deformed' which, from what I can gather comes down to Bones (the lead character) thinking that the size of their heads are so similar that it is statistically improbable that it is not some sort of birth defect but the fact that these children are closely related is supposed to excuse that assumption (ermm, no, that still does not make sense).

So Bones and her sidekick have the inevitable debate with Bones (being some weird, Aspie, science type geekazoid  ie, my type of person) being Pro and talking about anthropology and how one cannot pick and choose what part of the Bible one wants to believe in. And the FBI guy, Booth (who used to be Angel on Buffy & Angel) being Anti, he decides to denounce them as swingers, which seems awfully ignorant for an FBI agent, you know, Mulder would have known the diff....



On the lighter side the resident bisexual character Angela (all the new shows have one) said she could do with a wife to help her out, her husband said 'but baby I lurve you, I would marry you twice in a heartbeat'.  Bit of a corny moment, it is nice seeing adult negotiating their relationships but what it is the point if it is just used to enforeced the social norm?

(as a side bar this bi character has had one female relationship Roxie, who she dumped because she wanted to settle down, apparently Angela wanted to be a free spirit, that is until she promptly marries and has a baby by a male       colleague....okay...)

So we find out dead guy was having an affair, wife 3 decides she will poison him a bit to make him sick and so she can spend more time with him (apparently as a former nursing student, health care was her job) because she did not get enough time with him because the other two were hanging around all the time, insert sisterwife jealousy catfight in the police station *sigh*

Luckily they are, at least not the killers, which makes it one step up to how the Polyamorists were portrayed in that CSI-NY episode I so very despise.....

The killer unmasked, the former ally Bones then decides she agrees that Polygamy does not work in our culture and spends a 'humorous' interlude with Angel  Booth,  thinking up various words synonymous with Stupid such as Asshat and Moron, in reference to the Poly husband. :o((

As a final salting of the wound Booth claims 'there is one person you love the most'  and evidences this by claiming that the husbands one day off a week was spent with the first wife, the wife he truly loved.

The End....*spew*

I am restraining the urge to get a bit homicidal after this.  It is pretty sad and insulting to all Poly types, whether you consider yourself Polygamous or Polyamorous. 

So, comments please?  Anyone want the link to watch it? (please spare yourselves) Anyone already seen it and disagree with me??


2 comments:

  1. One love Natja. I saw this episode years ago when it first aired andI had a tv. Anyway, I really enjoyed your review.And I agree with you. I feel too that Bones the forensic Anthropologist should have had better insights. I think that I remember her arguing in one episide that monogamy wasnt a natural state or something. But you are right, it wad way better than the CSI/NY,episode. By the way, have you seen the poly show on showtime with Kamala Devi? I havent seen any of them mainly cuz I dont have a tv. I read reviews on modern poly and it sounded very interesting. Take good care and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marijannayiti, thank you.

    Yes I saw Polyamory: Married and Dating. It was a bit too sex focused for my liking and there were some other unpleasant aspects of the interaction between the interrelationships but I know some people praise it for bringing Polyamory into the mainstream. I just don't know if I want other people to assume that because I identify as a Polyamorous person, that I am constantly on the look out for sex.

    ReplyDelete