Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Poly on TV - The Ghost Whisperer

I have another one, thanks to a recommendation by my new BMF, JP, who fooled me by saying it was a Poly positive depiction....oooh that got me intrigued.

So, we are watching Season 5 episode 19 - Lethal Combination.

Unlike yesterdays TV show, this one does not make Polygamy a frame for the whole crime/mystery, it is just a feature and to be honest, a little unnecessary but you can make up your own mind.

So, some basics, for those who are not in the know, TGW (referred to as a chick show by JP) is pretty much 'Medium' but on another channel ie a young wife and mother who can see the dead and solves their mysteries to help them pass over.  Like Medium it's not a comedy drama, cue ghosts just popping out of no where, scary visions and lots of teary emotional scenes. It stars Party of Five alumni Jennifer Love Hewitt (showing my age here). As usual, my commentary is not to be taken as the exact script and anything in brackets is me, not the character....

So this episode focused on a babysitter whose charges tend to have a lot of accidents.  A ghost lady (GL) arrives and tells the Ghost whisperer that the Babysitter is not to be trusted.

G-Whisperer investigates and eventually finds the Widower of GL.  She has a vision in which she sees Widower talking to her and he says 'I have made this commitment and I will stick by it, it means something'
G-Whisperer notices that she has the same matching tattoo on her arm as Widower and that is when she realises she is having a vision of GW's memories.
This is the tattoo...

So, eventually babysitter confronts G-Whisperer about investigating her, that is the point where G-Whisperer realises that Babysitter also has a Triquetra tattoo...
OMG...All three of them have the same tattoo, what can it mean??

They investigate and find out that all three come out of a 'Polygamist community' and assume that GL is upset because her man married a younger woman, GL insist Babysitter murdered her and wanted her out of the way.
At this point we find out that GL was a terrible drunk and is haunting Babysitter for revenge.

Things come to a head, GL tries to kill both her Widower and Babysitter but they are saved by G-Whisperer.  In the hospital, Widower tells G-Whisperer the truth.

He and GL escaped from their awful Polygamist community to live a normal life, all is will until GL gets badly injured on a skiing trip and gets hooked on painkillers.  She moves from painkillers to booze and it was at that point that his (Widowers) Mother brought babysitter back from their oppressive Polygamist community.

Babysitter:  I was supposed to marry a man who had two wives already, I jumped at the chance to live with a normal family.

G-Whisperer: But then you went and did the same thing....The Tattoos...?

Widower: Yes, we had the tattoos to keep Babysitters family off her back, but it was a commitment, which I was going to stick with.

(notice at no point is Babysitter referred to as being a wife, sisterwife,  being in love or marriage in any way)

At this point GL cuts in with her accusations.  Widower discloses how wrong she was obviously, they did not want to her rid of her, just trying to get her into rehab.

Babysitter:  In our community I saw lots of marriages but never love, I did not know what it means to be in love until I met this fine couple.....It made me realise that we truly CAN wish for more out of life.....
(dyadic standard)

GL: Tell them I am sorry and I want (babysitter) to be in my daughters life....

Widower: (to G-Whisperer) Tell her (GL) that it has always been her....

Tears abound and GL finally accepting the fact that she was a pitiful drunk and caused her own death, can then move into the light.

The end.

I teased JP about this apparent pro-poly episode, he then fessed up to not watching it 'proper like'...

Ah well, I am very glad to have seen it but these people were not really Polygamists, they were people who escaped from a Polygamist community and pretended to be so for the sake of protecting the nanny who was in line to marry a man with two wives she did not actually love.

It said a nice thing about protecting people you care about but nothing about Poly loving.  The widower was protecting the Nanny but at no point did we see any behaviour to her that went beyond friendship.











No comments:

Post a Comment