I have had a strange dream recently. It is set in a London train station by the Thames, in my mind it's Kings Cross and like Harry Potter, this King X is nothing like the real one because A) it is no where near the banks of the Thames and B) it is a tourists dream come true, the real KX is rather boring, modern and besides the trolley stuck in the wall (Harry Potter again) There isn't much touristy in it.
However in this dream, the station has amazing Gothic interiors and by the water they have a huge black mechanical pirate ship that like the Flying Dutchman, that raises from the depths to come up aside a wooden walkway that in my dream replaces the concrete Thames pathway, (which of course is a H&S nightmare) making it wet and slippery a danger to walk on.
The annoying thing is in this dream, it was the weekend and engineering works were disrupting my journey home, I woke up rather vexed because I know KX rather well and know exactly where to get the bus home!
Then I laughed at myself and wondered at the strangeness of the human mind and how rare an experience it is for me to have repeat dreams, how creative it is and how I actually would rather like to see a full sized mechanical model of The Flying Dutchmen in real life.
So getting back online this morning wanting to talk about my silly vivid dream I was instead inundated by a bevvy of stressed out pregnant women who are writing about some truly disastrous and depressing relationships. Men who are ignoring them, putting them down, or threatening to leave because it is too hard, too stressful or not enough sex.
My heart goes out to these women and also, I feel like some sort of spectre of doom because there is a reason why most modern divorce is instigated by women and the rot seems to have already started for these relationships.
Then you have all the lonely women (myself included) who would certainly benefit from a sisterwife, but the monogamy culture means instead they are isolated and lonely.
Then there was the news today that nursery prices have risen to a prohibitive degree, to the point where there is no real financial benefit to to continue working. And the average is more expensive than the cost of private schooling.
It is all so depressing and especially depressing for women. I know we have to expect over 50% of marriages to end in divorce now but it doesn't make it any easier, because I know the pain and long term effects of divorce, especially when one partner is angry, resentful and refuses to emotionally forgive and move on. It has made me such a cynic, I find it hard to congratulate a happy couple because all I see is doom and gloom, especially amongst monogamists.
Is this the vision of our future? Do we just accept serial monogamy as 'The new normal' and surrender to it?
I don't want to do that any more, I find the anxiety of hoping so mentally taxing. I find hearing about it so depressing. Life can't go on like it does and yet, it just seems to because we are all stuck in this (one true love) dream world. Maybe we all need to wake up from that particular Gothic romantic dream....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment