Monday, 29 September 2014

The men with many wives - review

I am a bit late with this because life got in the way but I finally got to see the show. (UK only, I am afraid). Overall I am impressed, it wasn't exploitative and was really respectful.  Many of the tick boxes I recall from the Islam section of 'We want for our Sisters' were featured, including the less integrated households and the more resigned aspect of 'Well Islam allows it' attitudes amongst some of the first wives.
Although I was happy to see there was none of the 'marriage behind the back' stories that feature in a lot of the other Islamic Polygamy pieces.

Just because I have seen it mentioned elsewhere already I will start with the negatives:

1) Mohammed -  Now I am the first one to rail against economic expectations etc but in this case, you have no one working  and the husband wanting to send some of the household benefits to yet another wife in Morocco.  I can understand why wives number 1&2 are unhappy. In Islamic culture a man is supposed to be able to afford to take care of his family, hence why he is in the dog house.

2) Requiring the Niqab (face veil) and objectification

Saying that men protect their valuables by covering them so they are protected from male gaze and are just for his eyes only.  Hassan came across as SO degrading.  It was a statement right out of the prehistoric age and I understand why that rubbed people up the wrong way.

3)  Nissan - The marriage broker saying that most of the men are in it for the sex.

4)  The wives who try to separate their kids from the kids from the other wives.

5) Only Islamic Polygamists featured (but of course I WOULD say that!)

The Positives

Hassan Phillips'  very enlightened and positive attitude about older women who have been married before.  This is an attitude I would love to see more across the Atlantic, I see so many men (even those in late middle age) chasing teens and ignoring older women, it is SO frustrating.

Omar and Zackariah - The couple who want to be all under one roof unlike the Islamic status quo of separate housing.

Ali Tahir and his wives, this Malaysian family were very positive and showed a very good face on Polygamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment