One thing that annoyed my sister and I greatly (about 18 years ago) was how our mother suddenly became very 'hopeless' once she moved in with her (then) boyfriend. Our previously capable mother lost the ability to change a lightbulb! Of course, she really had not, she just mentally assigned that role to Boyfriend, now that boyfriend lived with her, she did not have to do that 'manjob' any more, never mind that she can do manjob perfectly well and perhaps even better than boyfriend, it was not a theory she was willing to test, as far as she was concerned, all men can do manjob better than women.
It drove my sister and I nuts!!!
Many women are like my mother, they begrudgingly do the manjobs, waiting for the day when a man can come and take them off her hands, but that opportunity may not exist in Poly relationships, you have to have a certain amount of independence because your partner/s may not always be there to help you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

As a non-typical type of bloke, one thing that bugs me about this issue is when you're are expected as "a man" to be able to take on the manjobs and that if you don't have the knowledge/skills you are somehow lessened as "a man". I personally, for example, have no interest in cars and have no idea about DIY. I can fell trees and coppice, cook, garden and do a bit of drystane dyking which are all usefuls and sometimes regarded as "manly skills". I think that in relationships we actually need to look at each others skills and work together to acomplish the task, not jus fall back on gender stereotypes.
ReplyDelete