Hey folks, here is a video response to the Court result. And a newspaper article/blog post. Both courtesy of Dawnhawk (thank you) over in Poly in the News, which I have been whining about the result on ever since I heard it.
I am still smarting, it is especially worse since I have been spending my reading time immersed in 'We want for our sisters....' (read it, seriously it is a great book) and so much of what is bad about monogamy that Professor Dixon mentions and which has propped up a system detrimental to African American womanhood (in her case) womanhood in general I would argue, is used as positive affirmation in keeping the antiquated law which belittles my way of life, my beliefs, the beliefs of tens of thousands of others and all in the name of protecting the institution of Monogamous marriage!
Grrrrr
Thursday, 24 November 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

One Love Natja.
ReplyDeleteI feel bad about this decision from the courts in Canada. I got to watch the discussion on CTV from your link. From what I gather this can still go up to the Canadian higher (supreme) courts so there is still hope.
I think that there should be a ground movement to petition so that it does get appealed and then hopefully get passed.
Blessed love.
One Love Natja.
ReplyDeleteI just read this great article a link from the Journal of a Polyamorous Triad (one of my favorites) about new legal briefs on polyamory and plural marriage. The article discssed the research of various scholars in the U.K and in Australia who argue that plural marriage is a natural phenomena. The author also discussed the work of Elizabeth Emens a legal scholar from the University of Chicago (very surprising!) who published a substantial legal defense of polyamory in a legal journal. I will check it out soon. I wanted to let you know but I'm sure that you might have already seen it and read it. Any thoughts? I'd like to hear what you think about the her defense.
Oh, one cool thing that I found out is that the UK and the Netherlands recognize polygynist marriages that are registered in nation states or countries where it is legal. And the are all elligible for benefits! Isn't that cool! I wish that they had that in the U.S. It would make life so much easier. I've known too many Muslims and others who went through hell becase they were in plural marriages.
Blessed love.