Well I must say I am certainly very interested and approve of the conclusions Prof. Dixon makes about this history of Monogamy and how it has benefited the State and Industry but some things I do not agree with, like her referencing research that in my mind supports a homophobic stance that is already crippling the black community, her invoking of God which is never allowable in an academic book as far as I am concerned and her statement that heterosexual women feel incomplete without a man!
Still I am fascinated by the chapter and the ideas of nation building.
I will discuss it further when I finish the book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

One Love Natja.
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to reading Prof. Dixon'd book someday soon. I agree that the black community needs to be challenged to contend with isses of sexuality(all the types). At this time I feel strongly that our reticence in dealing and embracing sch subject matters is harming us a lot. I mean I have lived in states with seriously high rates of HIV/AIDS among blacks and it always dealt with abuse, lack of communication about diffferent sexualities and acceptance. There is a log of closeted lovin and that is so harmful too.
As far as the mention of "God" in academic text I feel that the concept of God and Goddeess need to be deconstructed and the religiosity or perhaps christianity taken out of it completely. I mean at this point in time when it is invoked it is probably in reference to the one Christian godhead who is sole dictator and ruler. No one that I've come across has ever referred to Allah or Budha as God they call them by their name. In my view it's the christian way of gaining ground. When they mean to say all that is love and good they say god because from their standpoint this light is the only one that shines and they expect it to be true for everyone.
Blessed love.