Ok, I actually think this is very interesting, I am reading about the Hebrew Israelite community who have a small community in Israel and smaller satellite communities in other places. Polygamy is common but what really sparked my interest is the sleeping arrangements. I know, I know, everyone is obsessed by our sex lives...*yawn* no, it is not that, I just mean the timetable, apparently it is done in blocks of time, rather than what I thought more common, a daily (nighty) rotation. So for example, if there are two wives, they get two weeks a month, three wives get ten days a month etc.
Also, it seems it is based around a woman's menstrual cycle so a wife is always available for sex, which, if you ask me, is a jolly good deal for the blokes but....what the heck? Two weeks? You know, one may be able to put ones issues and need for support/sex off a day or two but two weeks?
Is it me or does that system seem a little disadvantageous to the women?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

One Love Natja.
ReplyDeleteI am familiar with the Hebrew Israelite tradition of husbands not sleeping in the same bed with a woman who is menstruating. The thing is that if all the women are living in the same hose then their cycles will synchronize at some point and so what happens then? In addition, those kinds of blood phobic traditions or practices serve to overly stratify fe/male relationships and the results can be detrimental to gender equality. Also, as someone who lived with these rules for over a decade I know first hand that this blood phobia and the fact that the male is supposed to wait 8 days after the menstrual cycle ends to have sexual relations with the woman results in an overwhelming number of male children born. You probably already know the biology the fact is that girls are produced when there is blood in the cavity and it has to do with the aggressive travel of the sperm in the fallopian tube. It's science and I read about it in one of my favorite books The Garden of Eden by jethro Kloss. No wonder that religious communities and traditional Abrahamic lifestyles tend to have more males. By the way, there are more male children born in the U.S. than girls! And I thought we had gender equality?
Blessed love.