Saturday, 29 December 2012

Men and Monogamy

Further to my post the other day about Monogamy not really working, someone posted this article on a Poly Website called the Myth of Monogamy.  At first I was a little vexed at the focus of male responses to the cultural imposition of Monogamy, it continues the myth of innate female chastity and lack of desire for sexual variety, which of course has waned just as much as the cultural imposition of perpetual monogamy has.  Still, I have to acknowledge that the complaint of male cheaters is still very strong and it is my immersion in Poly culture which has skewed my vision of what is mainstream thought somewhat.

Interesting that his 'conclusion' was what we in the Poly world would consider 'Monogamish' as in, emotional fidelity that protects the dyad but sexual variety being allowed.  This is, understandably not a comfortable notion to a Polyamorous mindset, it is SO stuck into the notion of not possibly being able to really love the more than one and all of societies relationship ills are down to men feeling sexually trapped but still in love with their partner.  It is a rather simplistic notion to be honest and very much plays into the 'we can't help it, we're just horn dogs' notion.

I, personally find much wrong with the article as a Poly person, but if it encourages discussion about this rather broken institution I would be glad of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment