In one of my more frustrated moments, I wrote to my daughter that ‘none of us are so lucky as to throw away unconditional love when it is freely given’. And it is true, people who love you, just for being you and not as long as you are pretty, sexy, amusing or available are few in this world. But that is not just maternal love, filial love or even romantic love I am referring to, but platonic love and friendship are so important too, my friends are also family and so, I regard friendship as its own reward and do not ever turn down an offer of genuine friendship. I find it bewildering when people do.
I am disappointed and frustrated by the attitude of ‘we are on a mission we are seeking something and you are not it so…. …..no need to bother even talking to you’.
When a Poly relationship or a romantic relationship or any sort of defined relationship is a target, some people just have no use of any other type of relationship they don’t look to build support, friendship or anything else. It is just so terribly disappointing.
They miss out on so much. Poly (especially) is not just about personal relationship fulfilment, it is about a community building also. You need not be actively Poly to be a part of it, you just need to know that it is possible to live this way and define yourself as Poly.
This is not to say I disparage the ‘personal freedom’ aspect of Poly, but personally, for myself, I never had an ‘I’m alright Jack’ attitude about things, I have always wanted the strength of community behind me, to interact with people who shared some of my views, for people to be able to have the same liberties I have and goodness that is why I am such a big mouth all the time. Strong, functional Poly relationships are good for the greater community, how can we build a strong community with people just thinking about what they want all the time?

No comments:
Post a Comment