My family are, quite hilariously I think, strange people who have convinced themselves that they are very normal. I have managed to carve a reputation amongst my kin for being 'the strange one' on account of being the only one willing to own the title.....doesn't make any of them any less wacky though...bless 'em!
Anyway, since I was never going to get along with really conventional types in my life, I have made it a point to keep myself acquainted with the weirdos of the world.....freaks, geeks, reenactors, kinksters, Goths, hippies,the Pagan and the Poly. Weirdoes Unite!!! They will not force us.into a nice lilac twin sets and pearls huzzah!!!!!!
But what happens when your weirdos fail to live up to your sense of weirdo solidarity? It can be quite a lonely experience.
Situation 1: The Muff March
A friend was remarking that men were not responsible for all that ails women and their body issues, it is the fault of women alone.....que tons of posts agreeing with OP and that men appreciate ALL kind of bodies and the beauty, fashion, porn industry has had no influence from men whatsoever!!!!!
Epic Fail and very saddening.
When I disagreed I was told that women in the west have no right to complain about it "since in Some parts of the world women are undergoing FGM".....rather humourously not seeing the similarities between FMG and labioplasty, both done because it is lauded as pleasing for men.....obviously the effects of patriarcy in the West may be more subtle, but to not see its agents at work right in front of you? Well that is just ignorent.
Situation 2: The "fake" Odinists
These lot seem to have made a claim that many Pagans consider baseless, they claimed that their faith means they can't get divorced. Now I don't know any Pagan tradition that denies divorce and I said many a time I think they probably lied...but the bile poured forth upon these people over it tarnishing the community because of their 'selfishness' was way over the top! I don't know, I feel there was a bit of anti - poly in there and also a fair bit of complaining over nothing. I tried to point out that they are coming from a position of privilege where the idea of getting only having an accusation that Pagans were perjurers to complain about is in no where near comparable to the common assaults and accusations of Satanism and child abuse Pagans have to put up with in the USA still.....but alas they confused my use of privilege and thought I was accusing them of having money.....*sigh* needless to say, it did not end well.....
Wednesday, 21 December 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment